Thursday, January 13, 2011

Thrifty Thursday - Hem Your Own Pants

I am a petite gal, which is fine except when I need to buy pants. It is a rare occassion to find a pair of pants that aren't 4 inches too long. When we moved here, one of the wardrobe items I needed to purchase was a warm pair of workout pants so I could go for walks. I found a nice pair of fleece-lined columbia workout pants on clearance for $13, a pretty good bargain. But when they arrived, they were much too long. Our local dry cleaner charges $13 to hem pants, so that would have doubled the cost of the pants. I decided it was time for me to learn the skill myself. I am a novice sewer so I studied this tutorial, as well as calling my mom for advice. It turned out to be easier than anticipated and what a sense of accomplishment! Now I won't have to pay someone else to hem all my pants. If you are petite like me, give this a try next time you find a nice pair of pants on sale.

No comments: